Building a Better Bucket Toilet

The bucket compost toilet in our cabin has seen several revisions since we first installed it four years ago including adding a urine diverter and a vent fan. Each addition was just cobbled on and the toilet had some other issues that I was not happy with so I decided a full overhaul was in order.

The primary problems with the toilet were:

  • Poor air sealing
  • Inadequate ventilation/restricted airflow
  • Odor issues stemming from the use of a P-trap

First, I built a tight compartment using 2x4s and 2x2s and sheathing it with a mix of 1/2″ and 3/4″ furniture grade plywood that I had left over from other projects. I reused top of the compartment and the urine diverter from the old toilet. I added a splash guard to the urine diverter and plumbed it in with 1 1/2″ PVC pipe.

I also reused the seat from old toilet. I attached 1/2″ foam to the bottom of the seat and lid to make a good seal.

Lastly, I cut a hole in the wall to accommodate a 2 inch pvc pipe and attached a muffin fan.