Dad has been working on a gin pole/crane that he able to lift the first bent with. Mom finished staining the rafters and joists. I did not quality assurance and found a small issue with one of the rafters and we did lots of preparations for the logistics of raising day.
|Positioning the pieces of the bent|
Check out this week’s time lapse below. Note that I’ll make a separate blog post and video for raising day. It will be available in a couple of days.
Here are some still photos from this week with more details:
|Moving a post into position on the floor|
|The ratchet strap will hold the joints tight until we drive in the wood pegs.|
|Using the persuader to knock everything into position|
|Checking that the bent is square.|
|Driving the pegs home.|
|Test fitting our braces|
|After test fitting the braces we discovered we needed to do a little extra cutting at the mortise housing.|
|Making some adjustments to the gin pole/crane|
|And the first bent is up|
|Doing a little quality assurance, I found that one of my rafters was not like the others.|
|Not as pretty but functional.|
|We’re inserting these wooden pegs at end of each loft joist to help strengthen the joint and prevent checking (cracking)|
|While teamwork is a good thing, tandem hammering perhaps not so.|
Stay posted for raising day details. It should be available in a couple of days.